The most effective way to learn solution-focused professional skills is to have intensive guided practice. This course is designed to provide practical skills and opportunities to practice the core solution-focused skills under the guidance of a master solution-focused practitioner and trainer. This course provides an additive live-interactive learning dimension to our self-paced agency course offerings. It also provides practical skills and opportunities to practice the core solution-focused skills. It also is designed to provide six bi-monthly group sessions (two hours each, 12 hours total) with live interactive teaching, personal and professional training practice exercises, case presentations, role-plays, and an optional final presentation from participants demonstrating how they have applied solution-focused skills in their unique area of practice.
This course will be taken along with the online, self-paced Foundations of Solution-Focused Practices Online Intensive.
- Describe solution-focused skills that enhance engagement and the therapeutic alliance
- Demonstrate fluency in core solution-focused questions
- Demonstrate the use of evidenced-based compliments
- Demonstrate how to discover and amplify positive differences/exceptions using solution-focused questions
- Illustrate fluency in building an emotional “yes-set”
- Illustrate building a shared dialect incorporating client and solution-focused language
- Illustrate the importance of a system’s perspective using VIPS by presenting oral examples
- Illustrate skills that facilitate the negotiation of goals and how to maintain a solution- focused conversation while gathering required clinical information.
- Summarize qualities of well-formed goals
- Explain ways scaling questions can be used to enhance goal negotiation including how to incorporate VIPs within scaling questions
- Apply skills to amplify scaling questions
- Integrate solution-focused safety questions within a case
- Apply solution-focused practices to work setting interactions or particular area of interest
Participants will be assessed in the following manner:
- Class Participation: Students are invited to clarify things they do not understand, pose questions, offer ideas, and broaden perspectives.
- Written Log/Journal: Participants are encouraged to keep a written log of practice exercises provided following each session and discussed at the subsequent session.
12 CE Credit/Clock Hours are available for this live course. To receive continuing education hours, the student must attend each live session, participate completely with all activities, and complete the course evaluation.
19.5 CE Credit/Clock Hours are available for the accompanying self-paced online course Foundations of Solution-Focused Practices Online Intensive.
Once enrolled, you may begin your course at any time and it does not expire.
Our complete policy and cancellation information can be viewed here.
Instructors and Authors