This self-paced course offers a sustainable, flexible, and customizable solution to provide organizations training and continuing education even if participants cannot be present for the 12 hours of live-interactive BASIC – Solution-focused skills and practice for agencies course. This course is structured as an online self-paced customized video lecture with an exam, including case-based demonstrations, recorded discussions, and recommended clinical practice exercises. This course is designed to provide practical skills and opportunities to practice the core BASIC solution-focused skills under the guidance of a master solution-focused practitioner and trainer.
The most effective way for behavioral health organization staff to learn solution-focused professional skills is to have intensive guided practice. This course is designed to provide practical skills and opportunities to practice the core solution-focused skills under the guidance of a master solution-focused practitioner and trainer. It also provides practical skills and opportunities to practice core solution-focused skills. The course includes 12 hours of video lectures, clinical demonstrations, personal and professional training practice exercises, case presentations, and role-plays.
This self-paced customized recorded course based on the live BASIC – Solution-Focused Skills and Practice for Agencies is ideal for organizations to sustain evidence-based practices while managing complex workforce and staffing challenges. To meet the challenges of training mental health organizations with complex staffing needs, onboarding new staff, staff turnover, unanticipated crises that require immediate staff attention, or any of a variety of unpredictable events that make it difficult for staff to participate in all 12 hours of the live session, the BASIC self-paced solution-focused skills and practice for agencies offers a customized solution to meet your needs.
Continuing education mandates require participants to be present for the entire live synchronous courses. This self-paced course offers a creative solution. This course has a required exam to earn continuing education credits.
Last Updated: September 2022
Target Audience: Social workers, psychologists, mental health counselors, educators, and medical professionals; appropriate for all levels of knowledge.
- Describe solution-focused skills that enhance engagement and the therapeutic alliance
- Demonstrate fluency in core solution-focused questions
- Demonstrate the use of evidenced-based compliments
- Demonstrate how to discover and amplify positive differences/exceptions using solution-focused questions
- Illustrate fluency in building an emotional “yes-set”
- Illustrate building a shared dialect incorporating client and solution-focused language
- Illustrate the importance of a system’s perspective using VIPS by presenting oral examples
- Illustrate skills that facilitate the negotiation of goals and how to maintain a solution- focused conversation while gathering required clinical information.
- Summarize qualities of well-formed goals
- Explain ways scaling questions can be used to enhance goal negotiation including how to incorporate VIPs within scaling questions
- Apply skills to amplify scaling questions
- Integrate solution-focused safety questions within a case
- Apply solution-focused practices to work setting interactions or particular area of interest
This course consists of the following components. The program must be completed in order, and your certificate of completion will only be given once all components are complete.
- Course Introduction
- Video Lecture
- Exam Instructions and Exam Preview
- Course Exam
- Course Evaluation
- Certificate of Completion
There will be a 65-item exam designed to assess your understanding and ability to apply the course material. You may take the exam multiple times until you pass the exam.
Certificate of Completion
After you have completed all of the sections, passed each of the section exams, and completed the course evaluation, you will receive your certificate of completion for the course. You will be able to save and print the certificate.
12 CE Credit/Clock Hours are available for this live course.
Please see our Continuing Education Information page for information about CE credits and clock hours and our accreditations and approvals for psychologists, social workers, counselors, and marriage & family therapists.
Students should check with their professional licensing boards to ensure that a specific course will be accepted for their continuing education requirements.
To receive continuing education hours, the student must:
- Enroll in the course
- Watch the entire online lecture
- Complete the course exam, and receive a passing grade of 80%
- Complete the course evaluation
Upon successfully completing the course, participants will be given instructions on downloading and printing their Certificates of Completion.
Once enrolled, you may begin your course at any time.
Our complete list of policies can be viewed here.
Instructors and Authors