This is our most complete and comprehensive self-paced, online program. This course provides an intensive investigation of the foundational knowledge, training, and practice in the Solution-Focused Brief Therapy approach. Included within the price of the course is an electronic textbook: Learning Solution-Focused Therapy: An Illustrated Guide written by Anne Bodmer Lutz, MD. The text itself has links to 30 clinical demonstration video vignettes. The course includes a ten-part video lecture series, numerous video demonstrations, case studies, clinical practice exercises, section exams, and many additional resources. This course reviews the history of the evolution of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, the philosophical underpinnings and major tenets of the approach, the core therapeutic elements of this approach, the applications of the approach to different settings, populations, and presenting problems, and reviews current empirical evidence supporting it.
- Recall the history of the development of the Solution-Focused approach
- Recall the philosophical underpinnings and major tenets of the Solution-Focused approach
- Describe principles of solution development and how this differs from problem solving
- Describe solution-focused skills that enhance engagement and the therapeutic alliance
- Illustrate skills that facilitate the negotiation of goals and how to maintain a solution- focused conversation while gathering required clinical information
- Apply solution-focused practices to different settings, populations, and presenting problems
- Recall the current empirical evidence supporting different solution-focused practices
There will be 10 section exams, consisting of 15-item multiple-choice which is designed to assess your understanding and ability to apply the course material. You may take the exam multiple times until you pass the exam.
Certificate of Completion
After you have completed all of the sections, passed each of the section exams, and completed the course evaluation, you will receive your certificate of completion for the course. You will be able to save and print the certificate.
19.5 CE Credit/Clock Hours are available for this course.
Please see our Continuing Education Information page for information about CE credits and clock hours, and our accreditations and approvals for psychologists, social workers, counselors, and marriage & family therapists.
Students should check with their professional licensing boards to make sure that a specific course will be accepted toward their continuing education requirements.
To receive continuing education hours, the student must:
- Enroll in the course
- Read the learning content
- Watch the entire online lecture
- Complete the course exam, and receive a passing grade of 80%
- Complete the course evaluation
Upon successful completion of the course, the student may download and print his or her Certificate of Completion.
Once enrolled, you may begin your course at any time.
Our complete list of policies can be viewed here.
Instructors and Authors