Certification in the Solution-Focused Therapy Approach
What Is Certification in Solution-Focused Therapy?
Certification in Solution-Focused Therapy signifies completion of a combination of coursework and practice at a recognized SF Institute. The coursework, practice exercises and assigned readings in our training program are designed to ensure competency in the SFBT approach as stipulated by the International Alliance of Solution-Focused Training Institutes (IASTI) of which the Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy is an original Founding Member.
What Levels of Certification Does the Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy Offer?
There are three levels of IASTI certified training, and some institutes offer a pre-certificate introductory course.
The Institute for Solution-Focused therapy currently offers the Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate. We anticipate offering additional certification specialty levels in the future.
What is the Advantage of Certification?
The IASTI Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate officially recognizes individuals who have mastered core knowledge of principles and key evidence-based Solution-Focused techniques, have completed at least 50 hours of IASTI approved Solution-Focused instruction, and have completed at least 100 hours of educational practice activities in which they have demonstrated competency in practicing and applying Solution-Focused principles and techniques in a manner appropriate to their profession in accordance with internationally recognized standards.
Professionals working in settings in which credentialing is helpful for establishing and maintaining professional credibility are most likely to benefit from IASTI Solution-Focused certification. The IASTI certificate can also be a practical and useful competency indicator for instructors wishing to teach the Solution-Focused approach to others In the future.
What is the advantage of Our IASTI approved Solution-Focused certification?
The institute for Solution-Focused Therapy’s Certification Program has several advantages:
- Our instructors were directly trained and supervised by original SFBT developers de Shazer and Berg with whom they taught and collaborated for many years.
- Our instructors have conducted trainings in 22 countries over the past 30 years.
- Our courses are developed and taught by prominent SFBT leaders and researchers.
- The program is offered entirely online, designed to accommodate students from all over the world.
- The Institute’s courses are derived from and reflect the most current advances in the evidence-based version of the Solution-Focused approach.
- Our Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certification Online Course is limited to 10 students, allowing for maximum student-instructor interaction.
Who is Eligible to earn The Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate?
- Possess a degree in a human service field, such as psychiatry, social work, counseling, psychology, psychiatric nursing, and other professions in which Solution-Focused is applicable such as medical practice, business coaching, sports mental performance counseling and coaching, consulting, supervision, and education.
- Is licensed or credentialed to practice in the field within their jurisdiction*; OR
- Works in a human service-related organization under clinical and administrative supervision.
- Has satisfied one of the following Foundations in Solution-Focused Therapy prerequisites:
- Has taken a 2-DAY live training through the Institute
- Has completed the courseFoundations of Solution-Focused Practice On-line Intensiveoffered continuously by the Institute.
- Has completed other foundational training through the Institute of Solution-Focused Therapy that is equivalent to either of the above options. Contact the Institute for more information about this option
* As a reminder, the Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate provided through the Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy is not a license or credential to practice, but is a recognition of advanced training in Solution-Focused Practices
What Is the Process of Getting Certification from the Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy?
Note: In response to the Corona-19 virus, we have moved all of our solution-focused trainings on-line, including the Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate Training program.
The process for obtaining the Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate from the Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy is as follows:
- Make certain you have met one of the prerequisite requirements in the Foundations of Solution-Focused practices (see Who is Eligible, above). If not, you may sign up to take a course that meets the requirement.
- Apply to the program using the Online Application (Available Soon)
- Once accepted, Register for our Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certification online course (available Winter 2021).
- Upon satisfactory completion of Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certification online course, you will have completed the requirements for the Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate, and will receive your Certificate issued by the Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy attesting that you have completed the requirements for the IASTI Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate.
What is the cost of obtaining the Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate?
Total cost is $1400 USD. This does not include the cost of any of the prerequisite course options.
Is it necessary to be a certified Solution-Focused Practitioner in order to practice the Solution-Focused approach?
It is not necessary to be certified in order to practice the Solution-Focused approach.
Does the Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy offer academic degrees?
The Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy does not offer any academic degrees. We offer a Level 1 Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate in Solution-Focused Practices as part of our affiliation with IASTI.
This is a certificate which certifies basic training and education in Solution-Focused practices. However, it is not an academic degree or a license to practice. Those seeking certification already have an academic degree in an appropriate discipline, such as a Master’s in counseling, or doctorate in clinical psychology or a Master’s in Business Administration, and are licensed or otherwise credentialed to practice their discipline in their jurisdiction. This certification documents their additional training and education in Solution-Focused practices.
Ready to Apply for the Certification Program?
Simply click on the Apply Now button below (available soon), fill out the information, and click Submit. We will be in contact with you soon thereafter.
We have tried to anticipate most of your questions. However, if you have further or specific questions, please feel free to contact us!