The most effective way to learn solution-focused professional skills is to have intensive guided practice. This course is designed to provide more advanced practical skills and opportunities to practice solution-focused skills in greater depth under the guidance of a master solution-focused practitioner and trainer. The course offers an additive live-interactive learning dimension to our self-paced agency course offerings. It also provides clinicians with more advanced practical skills and opportunities to enhance their solution-focused skills. It is designed to provide six bi-monthly group sessions (two hours each, 12 hours total) with live interactive teaching, personal and professional training practice exercises, case presentations, role-plays, and an optional final presentation from participants demonstrating how they have applied more advanced solution-focused skills in their unique area of practice. This course requires completion of Basic Solution-Focused Skills and Practice for Agencies. This course is limited to 25 participants per cohort to maximize interactive learning.
We also offer this as a self-paced customized course: ADVANCED Self-Paced Solution-Focused Skills and Practice for Agencies. By recording your organization’s live sessions, we can provide organizations with a customized ADVANCED Self-Paced Solution-Focused Skills and Practice for Agencies course that offers a sustainable, flexible, and customizable solution to provide organizations training and continuing education even if participants cannot be present for the 12 hours of live-interactive ADVANCED – Solution-focused skills and practice for agencies course. The self-paced customized course also provides solutions to meet the challenges of training mental health organizations with complex staffing needs, onboarding new staff, staff turnover, unanticipated crises that require immediate staff attention, or any of a variety of unpredictable events that make it difficult for staff to participate in all 12 hours of the live sessions. Continuing education mandates require participants to be present for the entire live synchronous courses. This self-paced course offers a creative solution. This course has a required exam to earn continuing education credits.
Last Updated: July 2022
Target Audience: Social workers, psychologists, mental health counselors, educators, and medical professionals; appropriate for intermediate and advanced levels of knowledge.
- Describe in-depth solution-focused skills that enhance engagement and the therapeutic alliance.
- Demonstrate more in-depth fluency in core solution-focused questions.
- Demonstrate the use of evidenced-based compliments in-depth.
- Demonstrate how to discover and amplify positive differences/exceptions using solution-focused questions in-depth.
- Illustrate fluency in building an emotional “yes-set” in-depth.
- Illustrate building a shared dialect incorporating client and solution-focused language in-depth.
- Illustrate the importance of a system’s perspective using VIPS by presenting oral examples.
- Illustrate skills that facilitate the negotiation of goals and how to maintain a solution- focused conversation while gathering required clinical information in-depth.
- Summarize qualities of well-formed goals in-depth.
- Explain ways scaling questions can be used to enhance goal negotiation including how to incorporate VIPs within scaling questions in-depth.
- Apply skills to amplify scaling questions in-depth.
- Integrate solution-focused safety questions within a case.
- Apply solution-focused practices to work setting interactions or particular areas of interest in-depth.
Participants will be assessed in the following manner:
- Class Participation: Students are invited to clarify things they do not understand, pose questions, offer ideas, and broaden perspectives.
12 CE Credit/Clock Hours are available for this live course.
Please see our Continuing Education Information page for information about CE credits and clock hours and our accreditations and approvals for psychologists, social workers, counselors, and marriage & family therapists.
Participants should check with their professional licensing boards to make certain that a specific course will be accepted for their continuing education requirements.
To receive continuing education hours, the participant must attend the entire online presentation, engage in all activities, and complete the course evaluation.
Upon successfully completing the course, students will be given instructions on downloading and printing their Certificates of Completion.
For More Information
Pricing varies according to agency needs. Please contact us and consider scheduling a pre-training agency consultation.
Instructors and Authors