Frequent Questions About Solution Focused Certification
1. Who should get certified in the Solution-Focused approach?
The IASTI Solution-Focused Practices Certification training program is open to professionals with graduate degrees in mental health practice such as psychiatry, social work, counseling, psychology, psychiatric nursing, and other professions in which the Solution-Focused approach is applicable such as medical practice, business coaching, consulting, supervision, and education.
2. What is the advantage of Solution-Focused IASTI certification?
The IAST Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate officially recognizes individuals who have mastered core knowledge of principles and key evidence-based Solution-Focused techniques, have completed at least 50 hours of IASTI approved direct Solution-Focused instruction , and have completed at least 100 hours of educational practice activities in which they have demonstrated competency in practicing and applying Solution-Focused principles and techniques in a manner appropriate to their profession in accordance with internationally recognized standards.
3. Is it necessary to be a certified Solution-Focused Practitioner in order to practice this Solution-Focused approach?
It is not necessary to be certified in order to practice the Solution-Focused approach.
4. Who can become certified in the Solution-Focused approach?
Professionals working in settings in which credentialing is helpful for establishing and maintaining professional credibility are most likely to benefit from IASTI Solution-Focused certification. The IASTI certificate can also be a practical and useful competency indicator for instructors wishing to teach the Solution-Focused approach to others In the future.
5. What is the difference between training and Solution-Focused therapy and certification? Those who earn the IASTI Solution-Focused practitioner certificate have completed a minimum of 100 additional hours of learning and practice activities and have demonstrated competency in the core Solution-Focused principles and technique in addition to completing at 50 hours of instruction with a IASTI approved instructor.
6. How do I earn the IASTI Solution-Focused Practitioner certificate?
The Institute for Solution Focused Therapy is an IASTI-affiliated Solution-Focused training institute. You can also check the IASTI organization for training institutes near you. Please check our website for trainings and/or email us with your questions. http://iasti.org/
- Complete 50 hours of formal direct training with an approved training institute.
- Complete 100 hours of Solution-Focused educational and practice activities subsequent to the 50 hours of formal training and document these in a log provided by the IASTI affiliate Institute where you completed the majority of your Solution-Focused training.(These activities may include viewing Solution-Focused training videos, reading books, articles etc on the Solution-Focused approach.
- Schedule an examination with a staff member at the IASTI affiliate Solution-Focused institute where you completed the majority of years of training.
- Pass the exam successfully pay a $150 processing fee.
7. How many levels of Solution-Focused certification are offered?
The Institute for Solution-Focused therapy currently offers only one level of certification, the Solution-Focused Practitioner Certificate. Additional certificates are available from select IASTI affiliate institutes
Levels of Certification
8. Does the Institute offer any academic degrees?
No. The Institute does not offer any academic degrees. We offer a Certificate in Solution-Focused Practices as part of our affiliation with IASTI. This is a certificate which certifies basic training and education in Solution-Focused practices. However, it is not an academic degree, nor a license to practice. Those seeking certification already have an academic degree in an appropriate discipline, such as a Master’s in counseling, or doctorate in clinical psychology or a Master’s in Business Administration, and are licensed or otherwise credentialed to practice their discipline in their jurisdiction. This certification documents their additional training and education in Solution-Focused practices.
9. What can you use to count towards the 100 hours of SF educational and practice activities and how are these documented?
The 100 hours of educational and practice activities can include reading books and articles, doing SF role play exercises, applying the SF approach to one’s work, and viewing SF videos. These are documented and described in a log kept by the person applying for certification. A copy of the log is sent to the certifying IASTI institute when the application for certification is made.
Our institute provides a “Solution Focused Certification Log” including structured readings, training exercises, videos and practice exercises to be completed for certification. Upon successful completion of the Solution Focused Certification Log, this will fulfill the 100 hours of educational and practice activities.
10. What is the difference between 50 hours provided by an instructor and the 100 hours of educational practice activities?
The 50 hours provided by the instructor are direct ( in-person or synchronous in real-time online )instruction, while the hundred hours of practice in educational activities do not require live or direct contact with an instructor.